10 TIPS FOR CHOOSING A SET OF DISHES
Materials, design, colors, guarantee of being able to find a piece of the set even after years in case it breaks. These are some of the main features that you would be wise to evaluate when choosing a new dish set.
Here are our 10 tips:
- Ceramic, porcelain, bone china, stoneware what are the characteristics?
- - Ceramic that is not particularly durable has a fair luster, but rarely achieves a point of brilliant white. This is why we often find colored, decorated or unusually shaped pieces.
- - Porcelain is distinguished by a higher luster than ceramics and remarkable resistance to aging, despite being a fragile material. Among the many traditional manufactures in Europe, the Neapolitan manufacture of Capodimonte and the French manufacture of Limoges are famous.
- - Bone china is a material of high value, used for high-quality production, and it is harder and more durable than porcelain, as well as distinguished by its typical translucent ivory color.
- - Stoneware is more solid, and heavy; recently, sets in this material have become trendy.
- The purpose of the set. Before buying, it is necessary to pay attention to what purpose the set of dishes you intend to buy will have. If you need dishes for everyday use or for informal moments, go for the ceramic or stoneware dishes, for more elegant or important occasions better those in porcelain and bone china.
How you wash dishes. Almost all materials go in the dishwasher; be careful with decorated dishes, however. Make sure what temperatures they can withstand so as not to damage them.
- Microwave yes or no. Today the materials from which dinnerware is made can be put in the microwave oven. The only caveat is that they be glazed to glass and have no cracks or special processing.
- Choosing a set that is beautiful and original will add an extra touch to your table. Especially if you are planning a specific event or want to use the dinner set for some special occasion, it is important to choose the right design suitable for the occasion.
Ability to easily replace any broken part. This is also an aspect that should not be underestimated. Sometimes it happens that you can no longer use dishes because one has broken, and it is not easy to find a matching dish to replace it. If you opt for well-known brands, even after years, you will have a better chance of finding the same piece again to buy individually.
- Tableware and fabrics, the right match. For a perfect match between the dinnerware and tablecloth to match also pay attention to the type of materials and fabrics. With white linen you can match a nice colorful set made of stoneware to create contrast, on a nice cotton tablecloth you can add an extra touch of elegance with porcelain or bone china plates, for a more sustainable approach choose Eco-Friendly fabric and hand-decorated handcrafted ceramic sets.
- Mix & match. What dishes do you like to use and on what occasion? If you don't want to go wrong with buying a new dish set, prefer something easily matched to the dishes you already have at home, so when you feel like daring and changing, you can easily play with mix & match.
- Matching the tablecloths to the napkins. Think back with respect to the tablecloths and napkins you own. When thinking about a new dinner set ask yourself if you have table linens that look good in style and color. Perhaps a new tablecloth should be purchased?
- Harmony with the decor. Tastes are personal. It may be important to match the service with the shade of the kitchen or dining room furniture. Some people prefer to go for color, some for neutral passe-partout shades, and some like lavish decorations. The important thing is harmony! Think twice before deciding what to buy!